How to get your Korean resident ID card

I’m pretty sure there’s some rule that you have to get an ID card within 30 days if you’re planning to hang around with your F-4 visa, so here’s what you gotta do:

  • Go to the immigration office in Omokyo
  • Walk in and go to the right where the big waiting area is, find the ticket dispenser, push the button for “foreign visa” or whatever it’s labeled, and take a number
  • Go to the third floor and buy a token for the photo booth from one of the windows on the left. If you only need an ID card you’ll also need to buy a w10,000 revenue stamp, and if you’re also getting an F-4 visa (meaning you didn’t get it before arriving in Korea) I think you’ll need another w50,000 in stamps, all of which you can get from the same place as the photo token. You’ll also need them to make a copy of your passport which costs w200 or so
  • Get your pic taken in the booth before you walk out and head back to the first floor
  • In the big waiting area on the first floor where you got your number (hopefully they haven’t called you yet) find the application for “foreign blah blah blah” and fill it out. You’ll need to put down something for your Korean address and phone number, so fake it if you have to
  • If you’ve been issued an ID card before then you’ll need another application to have it reissued and that can be found somewhere in the same office, just hunt around
  • When your number is called you’ll have to present your hojuk, passport, passport photocopy, application, photos, and revenue stamps


If everything’s in order, they’ll take everything (including your passport) and tell you to come back in a week when you can pick up your card and/or visa.

Now go get shitfaced!

posted by Michael in Whatever on 1/19/2010 | Comments (2)

How to get your F-4 visa!

I went to the Korean Consulate in Chicago today and applied for my F-4 visa… if you’re doing the same, this is what you should bring with you:

  • Passport
  • Passport photo
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Hojuk (Korean family registry)
  • Birth certificate
  • $45 cash (might be different in other cities)
  • Korean foreigner registration card, if you have one
  • Old passport with old F-4 visa stamp, if you have one


If you’re getting an F-4 visa for the first time, you’ll have to fill out a Korean Nationality Renunciation or whatever they call it, and that’s why you need the Certificate of Naturalization. If you don’t have a hojuk and you were adopted, call your adoption agency and tell them to cough it up! I got mine in 2002 by calling Holt’s office in Eugene, OR.

If you’ve been issued an F-4 visa in the past, bring proof of that and it might make things easier. The guy at the consulate in Chicago was about to make me call the Korean consulate in San Francisco (where I got my original F-4 in 2002) to confirm that I did the renunciation, but then after I gave him my foreigner reg card (which I got in Korea) and showed him the F-4 stamp from the passport I just replaced he was like ehhh fuck it and told me to come back on Thursday to get my passport with the new visa stamped in it.

And if you don’t know wtf an F-4 visa is or if you qualify for one, read this. It’s basically an all-access pass for Koreans who were born there but living somewhere else and it allows you to do whatever the hell you want in Korea for two three years. For everyone else (ie: white people), an E-2 visa is required to work over there and that leads to evil hagwon managers putting your balls in a vise which then leads to “midnight visa runs” and all that bullshit. No thanks! F-4 is the way to go.

Fyi, you don’t have to get your visa before landing in Korea. You can also do it over there, but if you forget to bring shit with you then you’re screwwwwed.


posted by Michael in Preparing to Flee on 12/28/2009 | Comments (4)

E-2 visas are for suckers

I’m posting this here mainly for my own convenience.

From the Chicago Korean Consulate General website:

F-4 status

  • Naturalized Korean-American and his/her immediate descendants can apply for F-4 visa.
  • F-4 visa holders can engage in extensive activity including work in Korea up to two-years unlike other visa status, and this status is extendable with Local Immigration Office.
  • For F-4 visa to be issued, the applicant needs to fulfil his Korean nationality renunciation report with Korean Ministry of Justice or Korean Consulate before visa application.
  • The necessary documents are as follows:

  1. Passport
  2. Completed visa application form with photo attached.
  3. Documents proving applicant’s origin is Korean such as Korean family registry or, birth certificate, etc
  4. Document proving that applicant completed his/her Korean nationality renunciation report
  5. Other documents which are deemed to be necessary by the Korean Justice Minister.

* The Validity period for multiple visa is 3 years and maximum duriation of stay is 2 years.

posted by Michael in Preparing to Flee on 2/9/2009 | No Comments